Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Electronic Voting Machines


In just a little bit more than a month, I will be asked to cast my vote, for the second time, on a machine that has no paper record. A machine made by a company that also makes ATMs, which, weather you ask for a receipt or not, create a paper copy of every transaction. In addition, the programs that both the ES&S machines, which record the votes, and Diebold machines, which tabulate the totals, are programmed using a program similar to Windows as the basic operating system. If you have used Windows as long as I have, since Windows 3.1 in 1991, you can be certain of two constants: At some point, the system will crash (it seems nearly always at a critical juncture); Windows' operating systems have always been extremely vulnerable to malicious manipulation.

The reason that systems like Windows tend to fail is that they are written by a limited number of people and not peer reviewed during the creation process. The public then tests it by practical application and the problems then become apparent. Programs like Linux are created by 10s of thousands critiquing, evaluating, and improving the stability and security until consensus is reached that a viable system has been created. After release, continued evaluation is not just allowed, it is encouraged. Owners of proprietary systems actively seek to keep the inner workings secret.

I can state this as a fact because I've purchased each Windows upgrade for two reasons. Exploring its weaknesses and playing computer games (to test the strength). Voting is not a game nor should it be done on a system long noted for its frailty. I use an operating system call Linux for all computer activities that require security such as on-line transactions and surfing the web. I also print a paper record of every transaction I make with my computer. This has proved very helpful in resolving disputes with both my telephone company and a credit card provider. My vote is as important and should have a paper record of every vote made in order to resolve disputes should the need arise.

The machines have the capacity to attach a printer and the operating system is capable of creating a paper record. The only excuse my elected officials have given me for not having a paper record is the expense. Surely the integrity and validity of our vote is worth the few extra dollars required to ensure this.

Now, into the circle file...

No comments: