Saturday, September 02, 2006

Where is the Lost & Found?

My latest "Letter to the Editor," which in all likely events will not get published:

Where is the lost and found? I want my Texas back. You know, that Texas that didn’t get frightened every time somebody says, “Boo!” The Texas that wouldn’t react in fear just because some young men in England had a fantasy about mixing liquids in flight to blow up airplanes. Yes, fantasies. If our schools taught better chemistry then the public would know that the explosives they dreamed about making are extremely difficult to create even in a laboratory at sea level. Gloves and masks and air conditioning are highly recommended. Bouncing around in an airplane at ever decreasing pressures would be a fool’s errand. Heck, when they uncapped the main ingredient the smell alone would have drawn every ones attention.

As a Texan, I have a strong belief in the rule of law. Therefore, when I hear and read statements like, “I have nothing to hide, the government can listen to my phone calls and look at my bank records all it wants,” I feel they are missing the issue. The law says get a warrant. As I try to be law abiding, I want every person in my government to do the same. Go ahead and listen to my phone calls and check my finances, I have nothing to hide. Just follow the Law and get a warrant first.

I miss the Texas I grew up in. Where our porches and cafe's were filled with talk about politics and different points of view were encouraged. Where politics was everybody's business and not just the job of politicians. Where people running for office had to tell us their positions on issues, not just how bad the other guy is. Where the schools had us read the Constitution and not just inform that there is one. Where television gave equal time to all sides of an issue. Where newspapers demanded that politicians verify the veracity of their statements. I miss my Texas.

Now, into the cirle file...

No comments: