Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Six Years In

“I’m ashamed to say, I voted for Bush,” A direct quote from one Flea-market vendor. I truly enjoy the wide variety of people I can converse with at this monthly gathering of citizens. While the above mentioned quote was one man’s statement, his sentiment expressed a growing opinion of the people I meet there. My disability (I’m paraplegic, my legs are paralyzed) coupled with my obvious independence and my sunny disposition seem to encourage questions ranging from practical, “How do you ___ (insert an action), “How can I get ___(a plea for instruction), ”Where can I ___(a plea for direction),” to personal, “How did it happen (motorcycle accident)? Did it hurt (it still does)? Why (my favorite) are you always so happy? About five minutes after the accident happened, when I got past feeling sorry for myself, I made the decision that, with the Lord’s help, I would not allow my physical change to overwhelm me or change my personality. While I may be a cynic (realist?) as far as politics are concerned, personally, I'm a rock solid optimist. Sorry about the diversion, now back to the topic. Having answered their questions I feel free to ask questions of my own. Six years ago it was, “With Bush, as Governor, having plunged Texas into debt, against State constitutional dictates, how could you have voted for him for President?” The most common answer was,"He’s a Christian. That always befuddled me for Gore is also a Christian and besides that seemed to be a rather minimal requirement for the office of the Presidency. Four years on it became either I trust him, I agree with his Christian values (again Kerry is a Christian), or we’re at war and I don’t think we should change our leader.

Six years in and now I hear disappointment. While we cannot change the President, I try to inform those people I talk to that what we can do is restore the check and balance that our national Constitution allows us by putting more Democrats back in Congress. For those who say that then nothing will get done. I like to quote Will Rogers,” This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.” Lately I feel safer when Congress is not creating ever larger bureaucracies, more draconian laws and further restrictions on our liberties.

Now, into the circle file...

No comments: